Saturday, October 11, 2008

Impressions Of The Here And Now.

(Cl)

So there are 2 things that I really wanted to share. One being my first expierence teaching english and a Coffee Shop night that Chris and I are getting to be in charge of.

For me, teaching was so much fun! The first class with Chris is great becuase since he teaches it twice, I don't have to prepare the lesson. I enjoy being in the background to answer questions or just write what Chris is going over on the board to help the students engage better. I feel the same way as Chris does about the professions of our students. How ironic that we are teaching teachers, at least for the most part. But I really enjoyed even more than co-teaching the class, is my second class.

The class that I teach with Chris is level 3, and for the second class I get to teach an advanced english class called Pasages 1. This class consists of 5 students, 4 men and 1 woman. The majority of them are older than I am, but I felt well received by my students, which was encouraging. Both Chris and I going to try to be open for our students to practice english outside of class as much as possible. Another option though, that we are both excited for is the Coffee Shop night.

Starting next friday, at the community center, we are opening the doors for our students and others to come practice their english through various events, in a friendly atmosphere with drinks and for this first one, free food. We are still brainstorming, so hopefully we will post some details in a few days. At this moment though, we are really excited and kind of frightened with the thought of running by ourselves. Fortunetly, we will have other teachers and hopefully some people who will help in other facets.

2 comments:

The Crazy Life of the Tos said...

Sounds so good! I think it's hard not to use idoms or slang when talking to non english speakers! Glad you are enjoying the teaching! Miss ya guys!!!

melissa.thompson21 said...

hey, just wanted to let you know that i'm praying for you guys!! i can't wait to hear how the coffee shop thing goes! =)