Monday, November 3, 2008

Once in a lifetime... Okay, maybe twice.

(Cl)

I apologize for my absence on this page. This is mainly impart from my Mac crashing as soon as we got here. It is difficult to maintain such things as connectivity, updates, and blogs for that matter, when you lack a personal computer to do it with. I must say, I really believe God is using this time for something great, and I'm okay with not having a computer. I just pray that the time I would have spent using it is filled with whatever God plans to fill it with. And really it's exciting to think about what He's doing and will do.

I hope to give a little perspective into the physical demeanor of Jordan. Though the temperature here is still relatively warm, in comparison to what it would be back home (in Oregon), there are some signs of a change in season. I think Donald Miller sums up my impression as autumn comes upon us...
"It is fall here now, my favorite of the four seasons.
We get all four here, and they come at us under
the doors, in through the windows. One morning
you wake and need blankets; you take the fan out
of the window to see clouds that mist out by
midmorning, only to reveal a naked blue coolness
like God yawning.
"
-Excerpt from the Author's Note of Through Painted Deserts

Though Miller is referring to Portland, it has been a similar experience here. Except that this season is coming to us a couple months later than we're used to. Fortunately Chris and I have tiger print blankets to keep us warm as well as a propane heater. I have also found that scarves here are cheap and plan on not only practically adorning my own neck, but picking a couple up for friends in the states.

Well the next thing on the plate is a trip to an old, old city that is in a neighboring country with great significance to the foundations of what we believe in. We're going to Israel. The people here in Jordan don't talk to highly about the place. But that's besides the point. In talking to people, I have expressed how I want to see with my own eyes what it's like over there, and many have agreed that is a good idea. So now the wheels are in motion to make it happen. I will post less info about the trip, and more on what my thoughts are, in preparation.

I find the thought of going to Jerusalem to be unbelievable. It is as if up to this point in my life, talking about the place has been surreal. Almost like I know its real, but the likelihood of me going there is equivalent to the likelihood of going to the moon. Movies like Kingdom of Heaven or even Jesus Christ Superstar create a Hollywood fantasy for my perspective. As part of my Roots experience, I have been down a couple "Station of the Cross", but to go to the actual stations where the real thing happened... that's a whole other thing. Or to see the last remaining wall of the old temple and stand in (potentially) the same place the Jesus may have stood, catches me a little off guard. Even being protestant, alliance, charismatic, I've had my share in the symbolism of Christianity, which has meant a lot. But this, this is unheard of for me. This joy and blessing, is far surpassing. I don't expect this to be a pilgrimage or anything of that sort, and I don't imagine God will be more present in some supernatural way. What I do hope for, is that in the sight seeing and touristic activity, I can take away, even if just a memory, the reality that a story is unfolding that is bigger than me. Whether I'll walk away with a newly acquired state of humility or not, I want to be assured that not only there is a cosmic screenplay, but I have a part. Many thoughts have revolved around what I feel called to in life over the past 4 months. Though I've gained priceless insight into what I believe is God's heart for mankind, and better yet me, I hope this experience to be a physical manifestation of the knowledge in my head. What an adventure life has been up to this point, and how sacredly beautiful its continuation.
Pray for our journey.

3 comments:

johndarleneletexier said...

have a great time guys; glad we can help make this happen...

TracySmith said...

wow, that is on my top 10 list of things to do before i die. Can't wait to hear about it!

melissa.thompson21 said...

i so cannot wait to hear ALL about your trip!! i'm serious, you guys need to remember everything about your time there. goodness i am so jealous you you guys - this is someplace i really really want to visit. i hope you have an amazing time there!!!!!!